วันอังคารที่ 22 พฤษภาคม พ.ศ. 2555

Statement


I was not interested in Art when I was a child. No-one in my family, including my parents, has ever done anything related to Art, or has even had any impulse to do anything artistic. Furthermore, most people in Thailand while I was young only see Art from a commercial perspective. The artists, who are truly ambitious to pursue their artistic dream, find it totally difficult to survive in this social world. I can’t see any other reason why I’m hoping to have a career as an artist today, but fate. It brought me the first introduction to the world of skill and creativity while I was in university. After that time everything went by in a flash, I was mesmerized and have been cursed by the magic thing called ‘Art’ ever since.

I graduated from Silpakorn University, with Bachelor’s of Arts, major Archaeology and minor Anthropology. These subjects mix history, humanity and art, later provided me a lot of benefit especially the wide range of knowledge to create artworks. Moreover, it also opened my vision to the world of aesthetic which I’ve hadn't seen exist before. That was the first time, my world started orbiting around the Art world. I went to galleries, met a lot of famous and anonymous artists who living in Thailand. I instantly found myself deeply in love with Art particularly artwork in the form of photography, film and video art.

What interests me most about the visual art is the way that the artist plays with the audience perception. After researching, reading and seeing a lot of artworks by several artists for a while, I began recognizing how great some artists are, from Stanley Kubrick, Akira Kurosawa, Yukio Mishima, Jean-Luc Godard, Luis Bunuel, Andrei Tarkovsky, Werner Herzog along with Apichatpong Weerasethakul, everyone came to inspire me and I started trying to create my own work. I traveled around my country taking photographs, talking and interviewing the people who I met on my journey. I was passionate to go further by experimenting to create short films. Most of my works were quite raw but I enjoyed making them and desired to be an artist. I understand that moment as a turning point, which drove me to the world between truth and deception, love and hate, beauty and hideousness.

After graduating, I decided to come to UK to pursue my dream. Due to my interest in European Art Film style, I chose studying in England rather than America. I took an English course to develop my language skill, meanwhile I enrolled in a Film Directing course at Raindance Film Training. Although I was genuinely thrilled with my studies and managed to create another short film, I realized that I’d prefer to dive further into the deeper aspects of the theories and techniques in Art to boost the necessary conceptual understanding and skills. This encouraged me to apply for the BTEC HNC in Fine Art course at Kensington and Chelsea College, and I found that this programme which offers students a huge range of medium knowledge for producing artworks, affected my perspective about Art and motivated me to search for new encounters and ingenuity. During this time, I was introduced to work by Gillian Wearing, Peter Greenaway, Man Ray, Andrew Kotting, Pipilotti Rist, Mark Maxwell and Dara Birnbaum, all of these artists have given me an inspiration in term of experimental artworks.

I usually use my experience as an outsider to create artworks. During the autumn I made a video called ‘Unfinished Life’. In this work, I experimented with ways to narrate the story by presenting the reality of three women’s experience through an exploration of filmic language. This combines documentary interviews, used as voice-overs layered with manipulated motion footage. Unfinished Life urges the viewers to reflect on their own past while viewing the unfolding story of these three immigration women.






J

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:

แสดงความคิดเห็น